Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Paper or Plastic?

Neither! In the United States alone, consumers use about 100 BILLION shopping bags, adding up to a cost of about 4 billion dollars for retailers. Most of these bags simply get thrown away or end up as litter along the highway. I admit it's taken me a while to get in the habit of bringing my reusable shopping bags to the grocery store. My family decided to make the switch last year and for a while there it was touch and go. I'd forget the bags in the house or leave them in our other car in the driveway. Sometimes I'd take them with me, but forget them in my car in the parking lot! There I was in the checkout line, with a cart full of groceries and a guilty conscience to boot. Over these past months, I've found a few ways that help me remember to use my reusable bags (nearly) all of the time. 1) Always keep bags in your car. If you have two cars, have two sets of bags! 2) Put bags right back in your car after you unload your groceries at home. 3) Place bags on your passenger seat (or in the back seat) before you drive to the store. Once you park your car, your mind is on your shopping list and not on the bags hidden in your trunk! 4) If you do forget your bags in your car, ask the store greeter to watch your stuff as you run out and get them. Or just refill your cart as you buy your items and load up your bags back at the car! Not all reusable bags are equal, but using even one is better than none at all. Most you can buy at grocery stores have a firm "stand up" base, but are usually made of synthetic (petroleum-based) fabric. Some, however, are made from recycled materials. Just like any change of habit, using reusable shopping bags takes a little getting used to. If you do use plastic or paper bags, be sure to take advantage of recycling opportunities that are available!

1 comment:

  1. I just started using these. I always recycled my old plastic bags so was slow to try the reusables. I really like them. They are bigger, stronger, easier to carry. Only drawback is remembering them and the extra time the bagger needs to mount them on the carosel. Of course people thing you are a tree hugger if they see you with them.....oh, wait, that's a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete